Heidelberg Catechism Lord's Day 33-44 - The Ten Commandments, part 3

Heidelberg Catechism Lord's Day 33-44 - The Ten Commandments, part 3 - Love others! 

Questions and Answers: LORD’S DAY 39 104. Q – What is God’s will for you in the fifth commandment? A – That I honor, love and be loyal to my father and mother and all those in authority over me; that I obey and submit to them, as is proper, when they correct and punish me; and also that I be patient with their failings – for through them God chooses to rule us. LORD’S DAY 40 105. Q – What is God’s will for you in the sixth commandment? A – I am not to belittle, insult, hate, or kill my neighbor – not by my thoughts, my words, my look or gesture, and certainly not by actual deeds – and I am not to be party to this in others; rather, I am to put away all desire for revenge. I am not to harm or recklessly endanger myself either. Prevention of murder is also why government is armed with the sword. 106. Q – Does this commandment refer to only killing? A – By forbidding murder God teaches us that He hates the root of murder; envy, anger, vindictiveness. In God’s sight all such are murder. 107. Q – Is it enough then that we do not kill our neighbor in any such way? A – No. By condemning envy, hatred, and anger God tells us to love our neighbors as ourselves, to be patient, peace-loving, gentle, merciful, and friendly to them, to protect them from harm as much as we can, and to do good even to our enemies. LORD’S DAY 41 108. Q – What is God’s will for you in the seventh commandment? A – God condemns all unchastity. We should therefore thoroughly detest it and, married or single, live decent and chaste lives. 109. Q – Does God, in this commandment, forbid only such scandalous sins as adultery? A – We are temples of the Holy Spirit, body and soul, and God wants both to be kept clean and holy. That is why He forbids everything which incites unchastity, whether it be actions, looks, talk, thoughts, or desires. LORD’S DAY 42 110. Q – What does God forbid in the eighth commandment? A – He forbids not only outright theft and robbery, punishable by law. But in God’s sight theft also includes cheating and swindling our neighbor by schemes made to appear legitimate, such as: inaccurate measurements of weight, size or volume; fraudulent merchandising; counterfeit money; excessive interest; or any other means forbidden by God. In addition He forbids all greed and pointless squandering of His gifts. 111. Q – What does God require of you in this commandment? A – That I do whatever I can for my neighbor’s good, that I treat others as I would like them to treat me, and that I work faithfully so that I may share with those in need. LORD’S DAY 43 112. Q – What is God’s will for you in the ninth commandment? A – God’s will is that I never give false testimony against anyone, twist no one’s words, not gossip or slander, nor join in condemning anyone with a hearing or without a just cause. Rather, in court and everywhere else, I should avoid lying and deceit or every kind; these are devices the devil himself uses, and they would call down on me God’s intense anger. I should love the truth, speak it candidly, and openly acknowledge it. And I should do what I can to guard and advance my neighbor’s good name. LORD’S DAY 44 113. Q – What is God’s will for you in the tenth commandment? A – That not even the slightest thought or desire contrary to any one of God’s commandments should ever arise in my heart. Rather, with all my heart I should always hate sin and take pleasure in whatever is right. 114. Q – But can those converted to God obey these commandments perfectly? A – No. In this life even the holiest have only a beginning of this obedience. Nevertheless, with all seriousness of purpose, they do begin to live according to all, not only some of God’s commandments. 115. Q – No one in this life can obey the ten commandments perfectly: Why then does God want them preached so pointedly? A – First, so that the longer we live the more we may come to know our sinfulness and the more eagerly look to Christ for forgiveness of sins and righteousness. Second, so that, while praying to God for the grace of the Holy Spirit, we may never stop striving to be renewed more and more after God’s image, until after this life we reach our goal: perfection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heidelberg Catechism Lord's Day 33-44 part 2